"Seasonal vegetables are grilled on the barbecue and served tossed with a simple rustic dressing."
- 2 each red and yellow peppers halved with seeds removed
- 2 zucchini sliced lengthways
- 2 small leek halved lengthwise (or red onion)
- 1 bunch asparagus halved lengthways
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 2 cups watercress leaves or arugula
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese crumbled
- 1 ounce toasted almonds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 finely diced shallot
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Brush all the vegetables with oil. Place the peppers, zucchini and leek on a preheated grill or barbecue and grill for 2-3 minutes each side minutes or until cooked as desired. Add asparagus in last minute of cooking.
- Place in a large bowl and season with the oregano, salt and pepper.
- Arrange on plates with the watercress, drizzle with the dressing and scatter with the almonds and goat cheese. Serve warm with a crusty loaf of bread, olive oil and balsamic.
- Tips & Techniques
I call this my red wine drinker’s vegetarian dish with the deep flavors from the grill, the nuts and cheese adding the boldness to work wonderfully with even the deepest of red wines. My Aussie roots make me veer towards a fruit driven Pinot Noir such as the Yering Station.