Replete with semi-sweet chocolate, cream cheese, Macadamia nuts, Maraschino cherries and whipped cream; this decadent custard is brimming with all the delectable ingredients foodies crave.
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- The day before serving, grease a 4 1/2 x 8 loaf pan. Line it with plastic wrap, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the ends. Grease the inside of the wrap and place half of the nuts at the bottom of pan.
- In a small non-stick saucepan, melt the chocolate and cream together, over low heat. Keep warm. Beat the egg yolks with 1/3 cup sugar until the mixture is thick enough to form long ribbons, about 3 minutes. Add the mascarpone or cream cheese and beat for 3 more minutes. Fold in the chocolate cream a little bit at a time, whisking well, to incorporate. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar until they become glossy and start to form stiff peaks, about 3 minutes. Fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture. Add half of the Maraschino cherries and the remaining Macadamia nuts. Pour the custard mixture into the pan. Cover with the plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- When ready to serve, take the frozen custard out of the wrapping and decorate the top with the remaining cherries. Bring to the table and cut into slices to serve.
- Optional: Decorate with chocolate sauce and sweetened whipped cream.
Recipe courtesy of Nick Stellino. Watch for his new cookbook and Public Television series: “Nick Stellino Cooking with Friends”. www.nickstellino.com